Thursday, November 23, 2006

I'm a Vegetarian

So I've made the next big step and formally become a vegetarian. Feels good I have to say. I don't really allow myself to feel guilty, it's a self-indulgant emotion that achieves absolutely nothing, but the facts about the meat industry were plain to see and weighed heavily upon me.

I urge everyone to watch the videos found on the home page of Chooseveg.com. Even if you aren't interested in becoming a vegetarian, everyone should be aware of where your food is coming from and what the animals endured to feed you. "Meet your Meat" is especially powerful, it moved me to tears a few times.

Now granted these videos contain a dose of rhetoric and the site does try to play the "meat isn't as healthy for you as you think" angle which is not particularly correct IMO, but the videos are powerful nonetheless and do a fair job of jolting you into recognizing how your food is "processed". The videos also speak to dairy cows and egg chickens who have it even worse than the meat animals.

Watch them, please. Don't turn away. Pull your head from the sand.

I urge you to watch it so that at least, at the very least you will stop eating non-organic, non-free range meats and dairy. Now I know what you are saying, that it is too expensive to eat organic, and you're right. "Organic" is a buzz word and food companies are certainly not above cashing in our altruistic and well meaning intents to eat while keeping the animal in mind. But there are alternatives, even if it means abstaining. Eatwellguide.org is a US/Canadian site that will allow you to find local sustainable farming operations where you can buy free-range, non-hormoned, humanely treated meats and dairy that are not exactly "certified organic". It is affordable and you help keep a very important economy alive rather than continuing to hand over your money to uncaring major corporations. Sure it will take a little more planning to shop, but at what point do these sorts of excuses just stop holding water? This site will also show you stores that sell organic products and restaurants that cook with organic and/or free range ingredients.

These animals suffer, folks. Their pain is unimaginable, their suffering is inexcusable. You can play the ostrich all you want, but at some point we as a culture are going to have to face what we support, even if its with our inaction.

I have chosen to go vegetarian because I can no longer expect another lifeform to die so I can eat. I don't need it. The animal is dying for no other reason than because I want it to, because I like the taste of their flesh.

The next step for me is to give up seafood. Whereas the cruelty shown to fish is on a much smaller scale, the devestation wreaked by the fishing industry on our oceans and lakes is terrible. The final step will be to avoid byproducts of the meat industry like leather, and this step is truly difficult.

I have said before that a society can be judged based on how it treats its animals. Please watch the videos and visit these sites. If you decide to continue to eat meat, so be it. At least you will be aware of what you are supporting rather than pretending it does not happen, and for that at least you will have my respect.

Peace and blessings to all God's creatures. It is their right.

8 comments:

Sadiq said...

i needed this my friend.

i am also trying the same. i have become consciously a moderate non-veg. but i wish to become almost vegetarian.

Shawn™ said...

It's best to take it step by step. All at once and it becomes overwhelming for you, and the ones you share your meals with.

Good luck!

Jordan Stratford+ said...

You can play the ostrich all you want

Mmmm.... tasty ostrich.

Just kidding! I've been a veg for about 12 years now.

http://egina.blogspot.com/2005/11/cathar-diet.html

They call him James Ure said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I've been a veg for about a year and a half now and I must say it was one of the best choices I've made in this life.

We eat as much organic stuff as we can (Colorado,USA is big on organic stuff and we have several good stores for that). That includes eating eggs produced from free range, humanely kept chickens.

As soon as we get some money we are going to replace our leather couches that we bought when we were still in the dark. It sucks because we are poor and every time I sit on them I feel like I'm sitting on a dead cow. Yuck. I did get rid of my leather coat though and will order non-leather shoes from now on.

They call him James Ure said...

Maybe we'll just take our couches to the city dump and buy some used ones at the thrift store.

Shawn™ said...

Nice to find a kindred spirit James! I too have leather couches but unfortunately my wife is not on the same boat as me quite yet.

Sadiq said...

dear shawn,
u inspired me, and i passed down the light to others via my blog.

may the consciousness arrive!

Zoe said...

hi, I've been vegetarian for years but recently have been horribly aware of the suffering of dairy cows. I really think it's awful to endure a life of suffering the way they do, even worse than to be killed for meat. Have you also cut out dairy from your diet? How do you feel about the dairy industry?